Here in Northern California we are facing incredible amounts of wildfires which have devastated Napa and Sonoma Counties and are greatly affecting the surrounding areas.
Here are some ways to care for yourself with herbs, nutrition and ways to care for those affected.
SELF - CARE
Get a mask - N95 or P100 - this category of mask will block out the size of particulate that is in the air. Most bay area stores are completely out. Order online to get shipped ASAP. If anyone has a better suggestion, I'd love to know how to get a mask faster.
Get an air purifier. These fires could be out soon, but there will be residual particulate in the air that can affect you and your Lungs. There are all types, but the best according to The Sweethome is The Conway - linked here for $230 on Amazon. Higher end or budget pick listed on this post by The Sweethome.
Support your Lungs with Nutrition - the Lungs are a crucial part of our immune system and they are greatly supported by our digestion.
- some sour flavors - with this dryness, our Lungs need support keeping moist. Sour helps to astringe moisture - citrus is one of the easiest ways to get sour.
- some pungent flavors - radish, onion, garlic, ginger - this can help dispel toxins that are accumulating in the Lungs.
- pears - are a superfood for the Lungs - AND they are in season - they help to moisten the lungs. Eat raw or make poached pears. Here is a great recipe with some seasonal spices.
- white unprocessed foods - pears, apples, onion, garlic, white rice, white sesame seeds, lotus root, lily bulb - all of these have medicinal effect in Chinese medicine specifically to support the Lungs
- warm cooked foods - support your digestion with soups
- fermented foods - eat fermented to support your gut health which in turn supports your immune system
To limit / avoid -
- refined foods
- SF - Rainbow Grocery or The Scarlet Sage
- Oakland - Five Flavors Herbs or Homestead Apothecary
- Berkeley - Lhasa Kharnak
If you are having specific symptoms I recommend you check in with an herbalist or acupuncturist to create an herbal formula specific to your needs. I provide herbal consults. If you are interested you can sign up here. Or contact me for more details.
How to Help
There are a lot of people to help right now and ways. There are options, do what you can with what you can.
With your dollars
The Milo Foundation - their animal sanctuary was evacuated and they need dog food, cat food, cat litter, dog and cat bowls, financial donations, foster families and more.
With your time
SO many medical offices, small businesses are taking donations and collecting them to send up. Check in with your community and see where you can bring helpful supplies!
I will do my best to update this list as things move forward.