Black Spanish Rice
NUTRITION HIGHLIGHT - Black rice contains essential amino acid like lysine, Tryptophan; vitamins such as vitamin B1, vitamin B2, folate acid; and is a good source of minerals including iron, zinc, calcium and phosphorus
BLACK RICE aka FORBIDDEN RICE - Black rice is super delicious and nutritious. Different than it's white counterpart the dark color contains some deeply nourishing stuff. In Chinese medicine this is easy to guess or follow because we look at colors when thinking about what nutrition a food might have. Black foods (blackberries, black sesame seeds, seaweed etc) all are known to help strengthen the Kidneys in the Chinese medical system of the body. This generally means these foods promote hormonal balance, greater energy, better mood and an overall very strong foundation for the rest of you.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
- olive oil
- black rice (in the bulk aisle at Rainbow Grocery)
Step by Step
- Chop the onion into small pieces
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add onion, turn to medium-low
- While onions begin to saute, chop tomatoes into small pieces.
- Once onions begin to turn transluscent (5-10 minutes) add tomatoes
- Saute and let the tomatoes cook further
- Add a 1/4 tsp salt
- Add 1tsp cumin
- Measure 1.5 cups of black rice and stir in with onions & tomatoes
- Once coated add 3 cups water and turn up to medium high
- Cover pot & bring to boil
- Once water boils turn down to low and let simmer 25 minutes cover slightly ajar to release water
- Rice will be tender and water boiled off when ready
Black Beans & Black Spanish Rice heating up for leftovers breakfast
GUIDELINES - for a chef who loves to improvise
This recipe is super easy to make and if you usually make rice all you have to do is saute onions & tomatoes together with cumin, oregano (and whatever spices you like) beforehand, add the dry rice, then add water and cook as usual.
If you don't normally cook rice, here are more detailed instructions - enjoy!
Delicious, hearty & healthy Black Spanish Rice is EASY PEASY!